When I was preparing to resign from my first 'real world' job I was distressed about offending my boss or dissapointing my co-workers by leaving. I also enjoyed the work and was invested in the company. But, I had received an offer that would pay more and give me greater responsibilities...and it was time to move on and up. Even though I knew I was taking a great step for my career, I had mixed feelings about leaving. I was so nervous that I enlisted the help of my boyfriend's father who, with an MBA from Wharton and 35 years in his field, had resigned from plenty of positions. He sat with me, listened to my fears, and laughed in my face. He held my hand and said "You can love your job all you want, it will never love you back." His words seemed harsh, and I wondered if maybe it was his chosen field. But three jobs later I realized he was right in that each time I left a position I was easily replaced and forgotten. Someone else took my position and completed my job just as well, sometimes better. Life carried on without me.
My last position prior to becoming a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) was a teacher to students with special needs. I loved my job, I loved my school, I loved my students. I did not believe my now Father In Law's words applied to the field of teaching because I thought it was noble, that I touched lives. The relationships I had with my students, their families, and my co-workers was intense and extended beyond the walls of our school. When I became pregnant with my first child and my husband and I realized it would cost us more to pay for childcare than I earned teaching, we knew I would leave my position. My heart was breaking, because I honestly believed my job loved me back. Imagine my surprise when they all went on without me, business as usual. Teaching may be rewarding and noble, but it does not love you back.
Being a SAHM is the most challenging job I have ever had and sometimes I really hate and resent the job, my children, and my husband. However, it is also the most rewarding and most importantly, it is the only job that will love me back.

No comments:
Post a Comment